Malta Residence and Visa Program
Malta is a very attractive location for private residence. The island nation enjoys a stable political climate and is strategically located, with excellent air links. The Malta Residence and Visa Program (MRVP) offers non-Maltese persons the possibility of acquiring an EU residence card that offers visa-free travel within Europe’s Schengen Area.
- An investment in government bonds of EUR 250,000 to be retained for a minimum period of five years
- A non-refundable government contribution of EUR 30,000 (EUR 5,500 of which is an advance government administrative fee)
- A property purchase of EUR 320,000 (EUR 270,000 in South Malta or Gozo), or a property lease of EUR 12,000 per annum (EUR 10,000 in South Malta or Gozo)
Benefits of the MRVP:
- EU residence card granting visa-free travel across Europe’s Schengen Area
- Right to reside indefinitely in Malta
- Five years’ permanent residence, renewable indefinitely
- Investment required only for first five years
- No residence requirement
- Family members included
Procedures and time frame:
The MRVP application requirements and procedures are reasonable and straightforward. The application is submitted to the IIP Agency, the government agency responsible for applications, with a non-refundable deposit of the contribution amount in the sum of EUR 5,500. After stringent due diligence checks, successful applicants will be requested to complete the qualifying investments and will then be issued a residence permit. The IIP Agency will issue successful applicants with a Maltese residence certificate, which acts as a permit. The certificate will be monitored annually for the first five years of its issue and every five years thereafter.