Portugal is one of the oldest countries in Europe, has an excellent reputation, a very high Human Development Index ranking, and a high level of security, making it one of the world’s most globalized and peaceful nations.
Portugal is a member of the EU and Europe’s Schengen Area and has been using the euro as its currency since 2002. Portuguese is the official language, but English is also widely spoken, particularly by younger generations and especially in the tourist regions.
While Portugal is shifting towards offering business-oriented services, a third of its economy remains in manufacturing. It is also the world’s largest supplier of cork and enjoys the benefits of a strong tourism industry. With little of its own hydrocarbon energy resources, Portugal is committed to creating renewable sources of energy such as hydro, wind, and solar power. Over 40% of the energy created in Portugal is from such resources, including the most efficient wind tower in the world.
A relatively small country of approximately 10.2 million people, Portugal boasts a rich history, a lively culture, exceptional cuisine, a mild climate, stunning beaches, and an idyllic countryside.
Key advantages of residence in Portugal
- Visa-free travel within Europe’s Schengen Area
- Eligibility to apply for citizenship after five years as a legal resident while keeping other citizenships
- Excellent international and Portuguese schools and universities
- International quality health care clinics and hospitals
- High quality of life and low crime rate