Malta Residence and Visa Programme
Malta is a very attractive location for private residence. The island nation enjoys a stable political climate and is strategically located with excellent air links. The Malta Residence and Visa Programme (MRVP) offers non-Maltese persons the possibility of acquiring an EU residence card which offers visa-free travel within the Schengen area.
- An investment in government bonds of EUR 250,000 to be retained for a minimum period of five years
- A non-refundable government contribution of EUR 30,000 (EUR 5,500 of which is an advance government administrative fee
- A property purchase of EUR 320,000 (EUR 270,000 in South Malta or Gozo); or a property lease of EUR 12,000 per annum (EUR 10,000 in South Malta or Gozo)
Benefits of MRVP:
- EU residence card gives visa-free travel within Schengen area
- Right to reside indefinitely in Malta
- Five years’ permanent residence, renewable indefinitely
- Investment required only for first five years
- No residence requirement
- Taxed only on Maltese source income and remitted income
- Family members can be included
Procedures and Time Frame:
The MRVP application requirements and procedures are reasonable and straightforward. The application is submitted to Identity Malta, the government agency responsible for applications, with a non-refundable deposit of the contribution amount in the sum of EUR 5,500. After stringent due diligence checks, successful applicants will be requested to complete the qualifying investments and will then be issued a residence permit. Identity Malta will issue successful applicants with a Maltese Residence Certificate which will be deemed to be a permit. The certificate will be monitored annually for the first five years from its issue, and every five years thereafter.